Friday, October 31, 2008

Songwritin Blog Part Two - Little Louisa

Here's the second part of my blog on the background to some of our songs. I'm often asked how I go about writing songs. What comes first, the words or the music? Well thanks to this lovely blog site, I've now got the opportunity to shed a bit more light on the behind the the scenes of The Fore!

Little Louisa

This was my attempt of trying something a bit rockier. I was getting into a bit of garage music at the time, and of course I've always liked The Kinks' early stuff as well. Little Louisa was a result of all that. The words are definitely influenced by all that garage scene. Check out some of The Sonics stuff - most of their great songs have a story to them. That's my take on those songs.

There's also a bit of the old Motown song 'Money' in it (also recorded by The Beatles) - the floor tom drums bit is influenced by that song. The first recorded version was much slower than what it is like now. My first demo version was done just on acoustic guitar and I used a cardboard box and wooden spoons to do the drum bits!! A bit different to the awesome drum fills that Si now does week in week out...

And who's Louisa? Now that would be telling :)

Spencer

No comments: